In this article, we will learn what is electric bicycle, its parts, how does it works, list of top 13 best electric bicycles.
What is Electric Bicycle?
The electric bicycle uses the battery as the source of energy and transfers that stored energy to the electric motor, which helps move the vehicle forward.
How Does Electric Bicycle Work?
The electric bike works on the principle in which the batteries store the electrical energy, which will be delved to the D.C. motor that is the cause for the movement of the electric bike.
In this, the chemical reaction takes place to get the energy responsible for working. Sulphuric acid is used as the medium, and when this is mixed with water, the chemical reaction starts, and sulphuric acid separates its hydrogen ions and negative S04 ions. After that, the cell pole is connected by the lead, and electrons start to flow from the negative to the positive.
The natural lead converted to the positive bivalent lead when fusing with the negative SO4 to form lead sulfate. This happens due to the insufficiency of electrons at the negative pole. Hence a combination of S04 gets introduced, thereby ruling the combination of O2, which causes the formation of PbSO4 and the ions of oxygen and hydrogen to form water and release the electrolyte.
Also Read: Types of Cars
Parts of Electric Bicycle
Following are the components of an electric bicycle:-
- D.C. motor
- Chain drive
- Braking system
The DC motor generally used in this type of bicycle whose specification is bellowed:-
Motor power: 250 watts.
Rpm of motor: 2100 rpm minimum
Current: 7.5 amp
Voltage rating: 48 v
Bearings: Single row bearings
The battery used in the bike is a powerhouse of the electric bike. These batteries collect the power while running the vehicle with the help of the alternator, and this stored energy can be further supplied on-demand.
Also read: Types of bikes
The platform of the bicycle is used for the enhancement of the riding experience. It designs with a tough flat base utilizing the rider can distribute their weight uniformly.
The mild material steel is used, welded at a certain angle.
The frame of the electric bicycle is made of Mild steel and some components. The electric bicycle design is designed to withstand the weight of the rider and the weight of the motor. The design of the bicycle also bears and overcomes the stresses generated while driving in different conditions on the road.
In any vehicle, the main function of the chain drive is to transmit the mechanical power to other parts of the vehicle. Here also, the function of chain drive is the same, to deliver the mechanical energy to the different parts of the vehicle. This chain drive enhances the connectivity between chains and sprockets.
The braking system is a vital part of any vehicle that leads the vehicle’s performance. The vehicle’s braking system provides coverage from the unexpectable accidents, slows down the speed while seeing the hurdles on the path or off-road, and stops the vehicle after reaching the desired place. In the electric bicycle, a band brake system is used. This band braking system consists of a spring, frictional shoe—this type of braking system is governed by the help of a hand lever.
The main role of the sprocket and the chain is used for the power transmission from one shaft to another shaft. Here the function of the sprocket is to transmit the rotary motion between the rear shaft and the front shaft of the electric bicycle without any slippage. However, this is different from the gear in the following aspects: –
- The design and shape of the gear and sprocket are different from each other.
- In the case of the sprocket, there is no slippage.
- Sprockets have many engaging teeth.
Also Read: What is Governer
Advantages of Electric Bicycle
Following are the advantage of an electric bicycle:-
- It has less maintenance cost.
- These are easy to care for and also portable.
- Very less energy consume
- The capital cost of the unit is very low
- These have high efficiency
Disadvantages of Electric Bicycle
- These face a high center of gravity
- These have high intensity of wind load
- Always need periodic monitoring.
Nowadays, lots of electric bicycle manufacturers come into the competitive market. People get confused about selecting one of the best electric bicycles on the market; they have fear in their hearts and mind that they are worthy or not. Hence this article helps them become familiar with all the updated versions of the electric bicycle segments.
The design and the construction of these electric bicycles are quite very good. These bicycles are made from high-quality steel and aluminum. Their robust and rigid constructions make them impeccable in design.
Hence, here is the list of the best bicycles that can be easily used daily.
- Hero Lectro Unisex-Adult Hero C6E 700C 7S Electric Cycle
- Hero Lectro Clix 26T SS Single Speed Electric Cycle
- NIBE Motors Electric bicycle
- Hero Lectro C6iE 700c 7S electric bicycle
- DMW Electra electric bicycle
- Triad men and women E5 electric Pedelec Bicycle
- Touche electric Heileo M200
- Essel Energy GET 7
- Emotorad T-Rex
- Go cycle G4
- Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0
- Ribble Hybrid AL e
- MiRider one
Also Read: What is Engine
Hero Lectro Unisex-Adult Hero C6E 700C 7S Electric Cycle
This is an advanced bicycle manufactured under the Brand name HERO, in which many features make this bicycle idle for commute and fitness. Those features are listed below:-
- Battery: These bicycles come with 36 Volt lithium-ion batteries. Whose rating is IP67?
- Frame: The frames of these bicycles are made of an alloy whose rating is 6067.
- Motor: these bicycles come with 36 V 250 watt Dc, BrushLess DC motors mounted over the rear hub motor.
- Suspension: These bicycles are compatible with rigid fork suspension systems.
- Braking system: These bicycles have mechanical disk brakes on the front and V- on the rear side.
- Price: The price of these bicycles is about 35000 INR.
Hero Lectro Clix 26T SS Single Speed Electric Cycle
This bicycle is also made under the brand Hero. This one is another variant of this brand whose specifications are below:-
- Battery: The battery of this bicycle has a capacity of 36V, 5.8 ah. This is also an IP67 rating.
- Frame: The frame size of this bicycle is 16 inches, made up of aerodynamic blades.
- Motor: In this bicycle also brushless D.C. motor is used, whose capacity is 36 V 250 W and 40 N.M. mounted on the rear hub motor
- Braking system: The braking system in this bicycle is not much more hybrid. A linear Pull brake is used for braking.
- Tire: this bicycle has 26 1.9″ nylon tires having tube: 26″ x 1.90″ 45l and spokes are 13 swg ed black.
- Price: The price of this bike is about 28000 INR.
- Warranty: The manufacturer provides a warranty of 2 years.
Also Read: Fuel Pump
NIBE Motors Electric bicycle
Nibi Motor is the first ARAI-approved manufacturer of Indian electric bicycles. The full specification of this bicycle is below:-
- Battery: The manufacturer provides a 36 V, 10.4 ah battery, also a Lithium-ion battery.
- Motor: This bicycle has a Brushless DC motor which is 250 W.
- Range: The manufacturer claims its range is up to 55 km at a speed of 25 km per hour in a single charge, and it takes up to 4 hours to get charged.
- Frame: The frame of this bicycle is made up of steel and its alloys.
- Price: The price may vary from 36500 to 39000 INR.
- Capacity: The loading capacity is up to 75 kilograms.
Hero Lectro C6iE 700c 7S Electric Bicycle
This is also another Unisex bicycle segment of Hero. Whose specifications are listed below:-
- Battery: The battery of this bicycle is a 36 V, 5.8 ah Lithium-ion battery whose charging time up to full charge is 4 hours.
- Frame: An aerodynamic material is used for the frame of this bicycle. The size of the frame is 18.5”.
- Tire: The size of the tire of this bicycle is 700 mm.
- Motor: In this bicycle, a brushless Dc motor is used, whose capacity is 250 W, comes with a two-year warranty.
- Top speed: This bicycle also provides a speed of 25 km per hour.
- Price: The price of this bicycle is up to 40000 INR
Also Read: Gear Box
DMW Electra electric bicycle
This bicycle is also known as the electric mountain electric bike, whose specification is listed below:-
- Frame: The frame of this bicycle is made of aluminum and alloys, and the size of the frame is 28”.
- Motor: The motor of this bicycle has a capacity of 250 W, which is also a brushless D.C. motor that provides a maximum speed of up to 25 km per hour.
- Battery: 36 V 8 Amp lithium-ion batteries are used in this vehicle. This battery has a 5-year life span.
- Suspension: An adjustable suspension is provided on the bicycle’s front side, which provides comfort on bumpy road tracks.
- Price: The price of this bicycle may vary from 45000 to 49000 INR.
Triad men and women E5 electric Pedelec Bicycle
This is a bicycle of unisex compatibility for both men and women, and this one is one of the largest selling bicycles after the Hero brand bicycle. The detailed features are listed below:
- Motor: This bicycle has a 36 V 7.8 Ah lithium-ion battery which takes up to 04 hours for complete charging.
- Top speed: The bicycle also has a top speed of 25 km per hour. But in the pedal-assist mode, it may get a mileage of 50 kilometers.
- Frame: the frame of this bicycle is made up of aluminum alloy having a size of 19″.
- Tire: the tyre size is 700 mm.
- Price: The price is near about 32000 INR.
- Suspension: The suspension of this bicycle is mounted on the front of the bicycle, which is made of Allot aero rigid fork.
Also Read: Diesel Engine
Touche electric Heileo M200
Touche is a fresher manufacturer of the electric bicycle industry in India. This industry manufactures detachable batteries for electric bicycles. The detailed specification of this bicycle is listed below:-
- Frame: the frame of this bicycle is made up of aluminum alloy whose size is 19″.
- Battery: The batteries of this bicycle have 11.6 Ah lithium-ion batteries which take 2.5 hours to complete charge. This bicycle covers 75 km on a single charge.
- Motor: 250 W motor is mounted on the rear hub providing a speed of 25 km per hour.
- Brakes: This bicycle has a mechanical disc brake system.
- Suspension: This bicycle has a spring suspension fork with a 100 mm travel and lockout.
- Tires: the size of the tire is 27.5” x 2.125” tires having alloy wheels.
- Price: the price of this bicycle is 57000 INR.
Essel Energy GET 7
Essel energy comes into the field to change the traditional way of commuting into the modern way. This is economical and efficient. Essel Energy manufactures several types of electric bicycles. Apart from them, here we selected one which is Essel energy GET 7, whose specifications are listed below: –
- Battery: this bicycle has a battery of 48 V, 11 Ah. Which provides a distance of 30 to 40 km in a single charge, and it will take 3 to 4 hours to complete the charge.
- Frame: the frame of this bicycle is made of aluminum alloy, and its size is 18″.
- Motor: This bicycle has a brushless D.C. motor with 250 Watt 48 Volt and is mounted on the rear hub.
- In addition: this bicycle has LED lights for night riding, indicators for safety purposes, and tell lights to locate others.
- Price: The price of this bicycle varies from 42500 to 47000 INR.
Emotorad is an electric vehicle manufacturing company that has globally spread its branches. The T-Rex is the best electric bicycle of Emotorad, whose full specification is given below:-
Go Cycle G4
Gocycle is one of the manufacturers of premium electric bicycles. This is a London-based manufacturing company. Its design and the way of advancement in the manufacturing of electric bicycles make this a premium. Commonly Gocycle G4 is a foldable bicycle balanced with a single supported wheel. The detailed specification of this bicycle is given below:-
- Frame: the front frame of this bicycle is made of hydro-formed 6061 T6 alloys; the middle part is made of carbon fiber and injection molded magnesium clean drive.
- Motor: the motor of this bicycle is mounted on the front hub having a G4 drive with traction control of 500 Watt US or 250 Watt EU.
- From: the fork of this bicycle is single-sided made with the help of fixed carbon fiber.
- Battery: This bicycle’s battery is removable and a lithium-ion battery whose capacity is 10.4 Ah, 36 V approx. 350 Wh, provides a range of 80 km on a single charge. It will take up to 4n hours for complete charging.
- Tires: the size of the tire is 406-60, 20x 2.25 inches.
- Price: the price of this electric bicycle is £4000.
Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0
Specialized in a Californian-based company known for being the most iconic designer of electric bicycles. The specification of Turbo Vado 4.0 is given below:
- Battery: the bicycle has specialized U2-710, 710 W batteries. Which provides a mileage of 25-30 km in a single charge
- Motor: the motor of this bicycle is a specialized 2.0, 250 W BLDC motor with 70 Nm of torque.
- Frame: the frame of this bicycle is made of E5-grade aluminum. The frame is fully integrated and lockable down tube batteries.
- Fork: the fork of this bicycle is S.R. Suntour NCX E25, 15 mm thru-axle, 44 mm offset.
- Wheel: the wheel of this bicycle is standards 40 mm P.V. 700×32-50 cm
- Price: the price of this electric bike is $3500.
Ribble Hybrid AL e
The Ribble Hybrid Al e bicycle is one of the cool and all-around performer bicycles. It has 3 levels of speeding control. The whole description of this featured bicycle is given below:-
- Battery: This bicycle comes with a Panasonic 36 V, 250 Wh, 18650GA-10S2P battery, which provides a range of 60 miles on a single charge, and it will take 3.5 hrs to complete the charge.
- Frame: the frame of this bicycle is also made up of aluminum alloy.
- Motor: The motor of this bicycle is MAHLE Ebikemotion X35+M1 250 W mounted on the rear hub.
- Tire: The tire of this bicycle is a Mavic Ksyrium disc wheel whose size description is 12 X100front and 12 x 142 rears. Schwalbe marathon rigid 700 x 35 c.
- Price: the price of this bicycle is £ 2299.
Mirador one is also a foldable and stylish bicycle. Its rear suspension is designed to provide comfort to the rider. The brief specification of this bicycle is below:
- Battery: in this bicycle, a larger battery has a 7Ah; the 252-watt battery is used. Which provides a mileage range of up to 45 km in a single charge. This will take up to 3.5 hours for complete charging.
- Frame: the frame of this bicycle is made up of magnesium alloy. The foldable dimension is 770 x 430 x 680 mm and unfoldable dimensions is 1340 x575 x1100 mm
- Motor: the capacity of the motor is geared brushless D.C. motor having a capacity of 250 W with 40 Nm torque.
- Tire: the size of the tire is 16” x 1.75” Schwable green compound
- Price: the price of this bicycle is £1795.
Frequently Asked Questions on Electric bicycle.
In many types, we can use an electric bicycle in our daily life, which is as follows:-
For morning exercise
Pickup and drop our child at school
In the field of our daily errands
We use this bicycle for mountain adventures
Most electric bicycles have a top speed of 25 km per hour. But few bicycles have a speed pedelecs assistant, which helps increase the bicycle’s speed.
The electric bicycle is invented with the intent of conventional bicycle, and if we provide higher power speed assistant, then they will be looks like bikes, scooters, etc., and we will know the truth that for riding motorcycles, we need a driving license and other documents, but for riding bicycle we don’t need any documents.
The average mileage of an electric bicycle varies from 45 km to 60 km on a single charge. But it will also depend on the road and the weight that weighs the bicycle.
Several electric bicycles have this feature, but there is a need to apply substantial pedal power.
No, electric bicycles are not waterproof, but water-resistant.
Not really, because the sound coming from traffic is much heavier than the amount of sound produced by the motor of an electric bicycle.
Yes, Definitely, because we need to move the pedal for riding the bicycle, which is a genuine form of exercise.
The electric bicycle can ride anywhere as regular bikes can go like the city, streets, hills, etc.
In many ways, an electric bicycle can save our money. For example, if we ride a motorcycle, we need many documents like license, registration, insurance, and fuel. But when we ride an electric bicycle, we do not need these documents. We only need the fuel of electricity, which is a much lower price than a conventional source of energy or fuel.
High Rated Automotive Engineering Course
Check out our most viewed articles,